February 28,2019-April 24,2019 -
Denim Day is a day to wear jeans and show support for Sexual Assault Survivors. It brings awareness to some of the things survivors face after such a traumatic experience as a rape or sexual assault.
If you'd like to purchase a 2019 Denim Day shirt, CLICK HERE!
Around the country, advocates will celebrate Denim Day in recognition of an Italian sexual assault victim. Although she won her case in a lower court, it was later overturned by the Italian Supreme Court based on her wardrobe. The court stated in its decision "it is a fact of common experience that it is nearly impossible to slip off tight jeans even partly without the active collaboration of the person wearing them.”
Denim Day was inspired when local and international media captured an array of female legislators wearing blue jeans on the doorstep of the Parliament, this image soon made its way to the rest of the world. As of 2008, the Italian Supreme Court has overturned their findings, there is no longer a “denim ” defense to the charge of rape in Italy.
In the USA, advocates use Denim Day to draw attention to issues related to sexual assaults and to promote fair treatment and EQUALITY to all victims in sexual assault cases.
2019 Sexual Assault Awareness Month Events
- April 2nd - SAAM Day Of Action
- April 2nd - Take Back The Night Walk at Joseph Langan Park at 6 p.m.
- April 6th - Wounded Heart Workshop at Space 301 from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- April 7th -13th National Crime Victims' Rights Week
- April 11th - NCVRW Victims' Remembrance Vigil & Resource Fair at Mardi Gras Park at 6:30 p.m.
- April 12th - Clothesline Project Display during April ArtWalk at Space 301
- April 24th - Denim Day - Buy your 2019 Denim Day shirt and wear with jeans on this day
Call 800-718-7273 or 251-473-7273 for 24/7 crisis assistance.
For more information on this campaign, call the Rape Crisis Center, a program of Lifelines Counseling Services at 251-431-5100.
Lifelines Counseling Services
Mobile, AL 36609